Shutterstock is an online marketplace for contributors to upload their photos and make extra income. Since their launch in 2003, Shutterstock has paid out more than $1 billion to the worldwide contributor. To become a Shutterstock contributor, you simply have to produce the high-quality images or videos for customers to download. Shutterstock contributor app makes it easy to upload your images straight from your mobile devices where it is also possible to track your earnings. Shutterstock’s the shot list also offers an insight on in-demand items around the world.
In this Shutterstock Contributor Guide, we will take a close look at how to set up account on Shutter Stock, The Shot List, Earning Breakdown and Mobile App.
Also have a look at our article on how to make money selling photos:
Getting Started on Shutterstock Contributor
Shutterstock has been around since 2003; over the time many people have contributed to the success of the Shutterstock. Even with that much success, Shutterstock is always looking for more contributor to join, therefore site has made it easy for the new people to join and contribute. To become a contributor, make sure to sign up for Shutterstock Contributor site. Once you provide required email, Shutterstock will send you a confirmation email on the email provided. From there, you will have to provide additional details about you,
Submitting the work
Before you make any money you would have to submit your work for the review, you would have to submit at least 4 JPEG images for the review. Your Work is reviewed for the Exposure, Focus, Pixelation and Trademarks. If for some reason subjects get rejected, you can follow advise from Shutterstock improve on the photos. Besides photography aspects, work you submit also needs to meet technical requirements. We have listed below all technical requirements for submitting your work for approval.
- File Format: Images need to be in either JPEG or TIFF. Shutterstock doesn’t accept PSD files, however they do accept EPS files which needs to be Adobe Illustrator 8 or 10.
- Color Profile: Shutterstock recommend to convert all your images to sRGB before uploading them to Shutterstock. If you submit your images in a different color profile, then colors will likely to be altered during conversion to sRGB. We highly recommend to submit the images in sRGB, because you can review your work before submitting whereas you won’t get a chance to review your work if you submit in different color profile.
- File Size and Dimentions: All images must be 4 MP or larger with maximum size for image using web browser 50 MB for Photos and 100 MB for EPS files. TIFFs up to 4 GB in size.
Your submitted images may take up to 72 hours for review.
The Shot List
To become a successful at making money with photography, it is a good idea to capture the photography what trending subjects. To make it even more easier for Shutterstock contributors, every month Shutterstock releases the most trending subject, also known as The Shot List. The Shot List is a compilation of concepts and topics that buyers are looking for.
Shutterstock publishes the new article at least 30 days in advance so that contributors can expect what is gong to happen in upcoming month. With the update, Shutterstock also gives on the hint on how to capture the trending subjects and maximize your earnings.
As More photos get licensed by customers, more you earn from Shutterstock. Your earning is broken down by different levels and levels reset at the beginning of the year. Typically Shutterstock contributors earn less during early going of the year, and they earn more as their level is increased.
Below table looks at Earning Breakdown. There is a different breakdown for Photos and Videos. No Matter what level you’re on, your level will reset to Level 1 at the beginning of the each year.
Shutterstock owns all the rights to change earning breakdown as it may seem fit for their business and contributors.
Licensing of the Shutterstock videos also have a different pricing structure.
Mobile App for Shutterstock Contributor.
Shutterstock mobile app makes it easier for contributors to upload their contents, track earnings, performance of their photos and insights on the trend. Mobile app completes you as you can do most the Shutterstock activity from the mobile.
- Track Earnings: You can track your earnings by daily or monthly and see which images have been downloaded. Additionally, you can get notifications when your photos is added in a collection.
- Upload on the Go: You can upload your contents on the go or work on the contents that is already uploaded. With Auto-Keyword function, you can complete submission right from the phone.
- Insights: When there is a new insights or new shot list available, you will be the first to get notified with mobile notification.